Monday, May 9, 2011

A Long, Tall Drink of Water

Because this is an anonymous blog, and I don’t post pictures of myself, there are several things about my appearance you may not know. One of which is that I’m rather tall. About 5’9, in old money. After reading in the SMH’s Good Weekend magazine that the ideal height men nominated for a woman was 163cm, I got to thinking about my height.

I’ve often whished myself shorter. When I was in school, being shorter would have meant sitting with the girls rather than standing with the boys in school photographs. When I began college and uni, being shorter would have meant that I could have gone unnoticed a little more in class, rather than sticking out like a very tall sore thumb. Being shorter would mean that off the rack dresses and skirts would be the right length at the hemline and arms. Being shorter would mean that I would be substantially less clumsy – less distance for wires to get crossed between my brain and my feet. It would also mean that I would be ‘cute’, rather than ‘handsome’, that people would not look up to me (literally), and that I could get away with some more ‘out there’ clothes and make up without worrying that I looked like a female impersonator.

On the other hand…

Being tall means I can reach the high shelves in my wardrobe without a stepladder. Being tall means that I can wear patterned tights because of the extra yardage in the leg department. Being tall makes it hard for me to be overlooked in a meeting, seminar, or tutorial, and it’s nice to have to force myself to think of not-too-stupid things to contribute. Being tall, so I’ve been told, gives a person a natural air of authority, and, as such I’m capable of bringing my classes into line by standing up when I talk to them (freakily, this does work). Being tall means that I can wear big hats without looking like an elf. Being tall means that I walk fast – and given room allocations at uni this semester, I cannot be grateful enough for my super fast walking capabilities, even if it is a clumsy trot rather than an elegant stride.

So, on balance, whilst 163cm might be the ideal height for the average woman, 175cm might just be the ideal height for me.

2 comments:

  1. Ill admit, being only 158cm really has its downsides. Firstly, u cant pull of any manner of chub without looking like an Oompa Loompa, for there is nowhere for it to hide. Second, I can NEVER reach the Milo. It is a long standing joke in this unreasonably high cup-boarded house. Enjoy tallness, it can be a lovely advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i think you should arrange a secondry jar of milo at a smaller-person-friendly height! it's all in the organisation...and enjoy your shortness Madam Muse, it too can be a lovely advantage!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to hear your thoughts...