Saturday, November 3, 2012

Llama.

Dear Brett and Jemaine, of Flight of the Concords fame,

In your song, Hurt Feelings, you ask the audience a number of questions about situations that may have, potentially, caused Hurt Feelings. Questions such as:

Have you ever been told your ass is too big?
Have you ever been asked if your hair is a wig?
Have you ever been told you’re mediocre in bed?
Have you ever been told you’ve got a weird shaped head?
Has your family ever forgotten you and drive away?
Were you ever called ‘homo’ ‘cos in school you took Drama?
Have you ever been told you look like a Llama?

I think you included this last lyric because, a) it rhymes with Drama, and, b) much of its humour derives from the fact that you wouldn’t anticipate many people would be told that they look like a Llama.

Well.

I’m writing to inform you that, actually, yes, I have been told I look like a Llama. And, yes, it did hurt my feelings.

Let me begin.

MamaK offered, generously, to cook me dinner last night. It’s nice to have someone cook you dinner at the end of the week, isn’t it? As we were eating our dinners, shooting the breeze and watching the telly, we started to play The Animal Game with reference to the people being interviewed on ABC’s ACT 7.30.

(Aside: The Animal Game is a great game. The basic gist is to look at someone, and work out what animal they most closely resemble, based on physical traits, psychological traits, or, if you’re really good at it, both. It’s spiffingly fun. You might like to consider playing it in the car next time you are on tour. For the record, MamaK is 52, I’m 25, and we were regressing after long and trying weeks)

After establishing that Interviewee A was most definitely a Rhino, and debating whether Interviewee B was a Basset Hound (my opinion), or a Doe (MamaK’s opinion), we began to list off various people in our family and what they would be. Owls, Donkeys, Wombats, Eagles, Emus, Bears and Monkeys were all mentioned.

Brett and Jemaine, I was carried away by the merriment of the situation, and did a really silly thing.

‘Go on’, I asked MamaK, ‘what animal am I?’

‘A Llama’ she replied, with no hesitation WHATSOEVER.

After I’d got over the initial shock of such an obscure and odd suggestion, I sought further clarification on the issue of my resemblance to a Llama. Because, as you suggest in your song, being told that you look like a Llama can, and indeed does, precipitate Hurt Feelings.

MamaK revealed that my resemblance to a Llama is based on the following mutual traits, physical and psychological:

• Intelligence;
• Long legs;
• Long neck;
• Protection of weaker animals;
• Smooth skin (under all that fur…point taken, I’ll book a wax this week); and
• Standing out from the crowd.

And when it’s put in those terms, it’s hard to have hurt feelings because you were told you looked like a Llama. In fact, it turns out MamaK was paying me a compliment.

So, Brett and Jemaine, maybe you should rethink the lyrics of Hurt Feelings, to reflect the fact that, after the initial shock, being told you look like a Llama is actually not that bad. They’re an obscure and hilarious animal, to be sure, but they’re also kind of rad.

Lots of love, platonic (Brett) and non platonic (Jermaine),

Peggy xoxoxox

Ps: I know that you want to know who you are in the animal game, so here it is: Brett, you’re clearly Guinea Pig. Jemaine, a Mountain Goat.


2 comments:

  1. Love it Ms E! Much more relieved than I was when I read your Facebook post! My curiosity is sated. By the way, I would also add to your list of llama traits you big eyes and long lashes. :)
    MBG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Moi! Glad to have releived your curiosity :) And thank you for the addition to the list! I wonder what your little people would make of the animal game? Ms E xxx

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to hear your thoughts...