Sunday, November 14, 2010

Make Me Happy

Many moons ago, my creative writing lecturer told my class that the most powerful thing that you can do is to make something – anything at all. According to him, it didn’t have to be anything special or recognised, or particularly good, but it just had to be something that you made yourself – where the lines between intent and finished product were clear and traceable, and where you had a part in something, from the beginning, middle to end.

This is something I think a lot about, as I get on with the business of life as a PhD student. I sometimes think that by being firmly situated in an analytical environment, where, at its worst, things aren’t made but torn apart, makes me all the more grateful for people who make things, and for the albeit small skills I have that allow me to make. As above, they’re not the best, they’re not critically acclaimed, they’re flawed, but there is something highly satisfying in wearing, using, or living with objects that are made, wherein you can feel the links between intention and action.

Spending a Saturday afternoon at Bunnings with the Dreamboat and what felt like the large majority of Canberrans, it became apparent that making things is something that, without thinking too hard or analysing too much, people do all the time. Something about planks of wood, nails, glue, paint, weed matting, and all those other amazing and mysterious things that make their home in Bunnings makes you feel somehow more alive and strangely competent, masterous even, of your own environment. It is, fundamentally, good for the soul. Who knew a bit of humble DIY could be so empowering?

So, here are some glimpses of things I’ve been making lately. I hope that you enjoy them, but, more to the point, I hope that it makes you want to make something of your own, whatever that may be.

Anybody recognise these cushions? They’re all reincarnated dresses/bags,

The beginnings of a new cardigan. Not sure if I like how much the ribbed cream/blue stripes remind me of a milk jug…

Table runners from dressmaking offcuts,

Sweet summer skirts,

Pots, and pots, of tea.

Happy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always glad to hear your thoughts...